Information we collect about you
In General. We may collect personal information that can identify you such as your name, phone number, mailing address, e-mail address and other information that does not identify you. When you provide personal information through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Information you provide. We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our website or provide to us by phone or in some other manner. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information), in addition to transactional data that we may retain. We also may request information about your interests and activities, your gender and age, your opinion about products and services we offer, and other demographic information.
- Information from other sources. We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from other SMITH & NOBLE businesses, business partners, contractors and other third parties and add it to our account information or other information we have collected. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and additional demographic information.
- Information about others. We may also collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us. If you use our website to send others (friends, relatives, colleagues, etc.) a product as a gift, information that may interest them or messages (such as invitations) through our system, we may store your personal information, and the personal information of each such recipient.
- Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our website. This information may include your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us (see "Cookies" below), and the referring website address.
- Cookies. When you visit our website, we may assign your computer one or more cookies, to facilitate access to our site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our website.
- Other technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and other similar technologies, to track your use of our site. We also may include web beacons in promotional email messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our website visitors to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming or other activities.
- Information collected by third-parties. We may allow third parties, including our authorized service providers, SMITH & NOBLE companies, advertising companies, and ad networks, to display advertisements on our site. These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with their advertisements. Our website does not provide any personal information to these third parties. This information allows them to deliver targeted advertisements and gauge their effectiveness. Some of these third-party advertising companies may be advertising networks that are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies (www.networkadvertising.org).
How we use the information we collect
In general. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
- communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us, other SMITH & NOBLE businesses or other third parties;
- develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our site and other sites;
- verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
- enforce our terms and conditions;
- manage our business and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases made on our website, or by phone, fax or mail, to enroll you in the discount, rebate, and other programs in which you elect to participate, to pre-qualify you for credit card and other offers that you might find of interest, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Job applicants. If you submit personal information to us when applying for a position with our company, the information will be used solely in connection with considering and acting upon your application. We may retain your personal information for a period of time, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. This information may be shared with other SMITH & NOBLE companies for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for the particular position or other available positions, as well as with third-party service providers retained by us to collect, maintain and analyze candidate submissions for job postings.
Please review Your choices about collection and use of your information below.
With whom we share your information
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our web site or while using our services.
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Authorized service providers. We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, delivering packages, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our website, catalogs, by phone or mail. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Business partners. When you make purchases or engage in promotions offered through our website, catalogs or through our other services, we may share personal information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests and/or sweepstakes. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant's offer or program, you authorize us to provide your e-mail address and other information to that merchant.
- Direct mail partners. From time to time we may share our postal mailing list with selected providers of goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive mailings from these providers, you can notify us at any time by contacting us by telephone, 1-800.248.8888; e-mail, email@example.com; or by writing us at SMITH & NOBLE, Attn: Customer Service, 1181 California Ave, Corona, CA 92881.
- Other SMITH & NOBLE businesses. We may share information we collect, including personal information, with other SMITH & NOBLE businesses. Sharing information with our businesses enables us to provide you with information about a variety of products and services that might interest you. All SMITH & NOBLE businesses comply with the SMITH & NOBLE Consumer Privacy statement. Our SMITH & NOBLE businesses also will comply with applicable privacy and security laws and, at a minimum, in any commercial email they send to you, will give you the opportunity to choose not to receive such email messages in the future.
- Other situations. We also may disclose your information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
How you can access your information
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our website because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services through our website or by phone or fax; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; or initiate other transactions on our website.
- At any time you can choose to no longer receive commercial or promotional e-mails or newsletters from us. When your register or provide your e-mail address on our website, you will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive e-mail messages about special offers. You may modify your choice at any time. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial e-mail that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional e-mail communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change you preferences directly with that third party.
- Opt-out. If you do not wish to receive mailings from other companies or to have personal information shared with other companies, including other SMITH & NOBLE businesses, please contact us by phone, email or mail. To Opt-out of Smith & Noble mailings, please click here click here.
- Under our Do-Not-Call policy you may instruct us not to call you for marketing purposes by contacting SMITH & NOBLE customer service. We will implement your instructions within 30 days. We have policies and procedures in place and train our employees to honor your request. Please note that we may still need to call you for servicing or other non-marketing purposes.
We may share your name and mailing address with carefully selected businesses for purposes of sending you relevant catalog, magazine or fundraising offers in the mail.
The DMA's Mail Preference Service reduces the availability of your name and address to many other direct marketing companies.
To learn more, visit www.dmachoice.org.
Our company contact points:
Toll Free: 1-800.248.8888
Mail: SMITH & NOBLE
Attn: Customer Service
1181 California Ave
Corona, CA 92881
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption in the transmission of your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we use firewalls to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information.
We want you to feel confident using our website to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure e-mail. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission's website at www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shtm for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
Our website is a general audience site, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Visiting our websites from outside the United States
No Rights of Third Parties
How to contact us
SMITH & NOBLE
1181 California Ave
Corona, CA 92881
Additonal Privacy Options
The DMA's Mail Preference Service reduces the availability of your name and address to many other direct marketing companies. To learn more, visit www.dmachoice.org